Wednesday 5 September 2012

You never know when it might come in useful ...

It's the letter 'R' at the ABC Christmas Challenge which is R for Recycling.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to recycle, so I started to have a good root through my scrap fabric box and found an old purple skirt that I had kept 'because you never know when it might come in useful' !!!

Well, I'm glad I kept it now, cos I've made this cute little baggie out of it.  I didn't have any purple thread, so I decided to use contrasting lilac thread which looks quite nice (but I did have to keep my stitching pretty neat as it really shows up!).

I sewed some lace around the top before I sewed up the sides and base, and then decided I wanted to sew the image on rather than glue it.  Well it would have been far easier if I'd decided that before I sewed up the sides, as it was quite a struggle to neatly sew the image on the finished bag with such a small opening.

All in all, I am quite pleased with the finished bag.  I decorated it with glitter glue, using the 'negative' of a die cut snowflake, glittering through the piece that was cut out, and lifting it off while the glitter glue was still wet.



Here's my rather tasteful skirt before my recycle project.

I would like to point out that this is probably somewhere between 15 and 20 years old.  Think yourself lucky that I didn't show you the snazzy green one I had in a similar style too !!! LOL

And here's what it looks like now.  It might actually be an improvement !!!  



Whoops !!!


I've also made a card using a matching image which I really love.



See my cards available to buy on eBay

eBay



Baggie Recipe:
Card Recipe:
Please pop on over to the  ABC Christmas challenge blog to see the other creations by the talented design team, and to enter our challenge.  I look forward to seeing your creations this week.

I've been inspired by:
Happy crafting.

18 comments:

Chrissy said...

Glad you aren't going through my wardrobe Annette..lol..fabulous bag. love the snowflakes and gorgeous image on your bag and card too,fantastic colouring.

luv CHRISSYxx

Mojca said...

Oh I love the bag!!! Great way to use old colthes. And the card is really cute as well. Hugs! Mojca

Aud said...

This is super Annette, youve made a great job and love the card as well. Aud x

Lacey Stephens said...

This is awesome!! I know I said this on the DT blog before, this is really great. And I love your matching card, too! :-)
~Lacey

Kara Lynne said...

Funny "now" picture of the skirt! Wonderful bag, I'm always impressed with those who sew. I love that sweet image, and the card is just as gorgeous!

Céline said...

Oh my.. Annette ! your bag is absolutly amazing! what a good idea !!!
wonderful
hugs
céline

Dorte said...

No you never know when..
I love the transformation from skirt to bag, so creative, and the image is so very cute, I might have to shop...
Super idea to make snowflakes the way you did.
hugs Dorte

Lorraine A said...

OK ,,, off for a rummage thro me wardrobe now ,, :-) Fab recycling !! I love your bag and the card is gorgeous too :-)

luv
Lols x x x

Lorraine A said...

oops ,, thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge too :) xx

Heather said...

so cute!! It is definitely a great idea to save things like that skirt "just because." And it worked out perfectly for your bag, plus you seem to have plenty left over to create something else fabulous. That image is adorable and what a great idea to use the negative of the die to create your snowflakes. Thanks for playing with CSAYL.

Joy said...

So super fun and so creative, love love love that image so adorable... thanks for joining us at Simon Says Challenge blog

Lisa Minckler said...

OMG..that's awesome!!! I'd just love to say, "I'll be right there I just need to throw my skirt over my shoulder and then I'm ready to go!"
You crafty lady you!!

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY flipping darn AWESOME I love it so cute and love that you did a card too! what a stunning recycling project Annette your so clever! hugs me xx

Colinda said...

Very prety!!! Have a sunny weekend, Colinda

Jingle said...

What a wonderfully fun project and a super cute card! Great job! Thanks so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Fabiola said...

hello Netty, thanks to play with us at CSAYL this week, what a nice creation you made, so fun and cute, hope to see you next time, biz

Jan said...

This is great, thanks for playing along at CCC xx Jan

Deanne Saunders said...

This is a totally cool idea!!!! Thanks for participating in CSAYL's challenge! Hope to see you again!!!
~DEANNE~