Tuesday 28 February 2012

It seemed like a good idea at the time ...

This fortnight's challenge at Top Tip Tuesday is stitching which is something that I've been wanting to do for ages.  I've seen it on some fab cards, especially my talented Stampfairy teamie Deanne, who uses stitching on most of her awesome creations.  Pop over to her blog if you want to see some stunners using stitching!

If you want to know how to get started, Janette has also written a fab tutorial on the  Top Tip Tuesday blog today.  I've only just got my sewing machine (well I've had it a couple of months but I've not had much time to play with it yet), so I'm still working out what all the dials and knobs do (and usually getting the dials for stitch width / length the wrong way around).

I should really have started with something easy, huh. Walk before you run, right?  Ha ha, not me !!  Making the fancy tag shape seemed like a good idea when I started out, but was a BIG mistake considering I was going to have to stitch around it (I had forgotten the requirement for stitching when I decided what I was going to make).

Well, who wants an easy life, right !!!

Despite the fact that it took me flippin' ages to sew around, I was really pleased with the end result. It is big too, about 18cm (7") tall, so I'm not really sure what I'm going to do with it now!

What do you think?

I used Sakura stardust pens on her wings, so they really do sparkle. And the seam binding was a bit pale, so I gave it a little bit of treatment with my copics to darken it up a bit!  You can see the seam binding at the top of the tag is a different colour - well that is the original colour cos I forgot to colour that bit!!.  The bow on the bottom is the same stuff, but after the copic retouch!

I've also made a matching card in a fancy shape.


Both the items in this posting are available on my eBay listings

eBay




And finally, the picture below of them both together shows how big this tag is ! ...



Top Tip Tuesday have some fab prizes this week, check out the sponsors below:







Card Recipe:
  • Image - Whispy from Saturated Canary
  • Papers - First Edition Sweet Owl
  • Colouring - Promarkers, Copics, Sakura Stardust Gel pens
  • Nesties - Labels 18
  • Swirl - Magnolia Leaf & Swirl set
  • Tag template - Krea Teja Freebie Download (bottom right pdf "Workshop Patterns Label")
  • From my stash -  Pearls (coloured with copics), ribbon, seam binding (also coloured with copics!)
Please pop on over to the Top Tip Tuesday Challenge Blog to see the other creations by the talented design team, and to enter our challenge.  I look forward to seeing your creations this week.

I've been inspired by:
Happy crafting.

16 comments:

Doreen said...

This is just gorgeous Annette,love the image and shape of this.xxx

Mojca said...

Fabulous card Anette! Hugs! Mojca

Anonymous said...

Hey Annette OH boy! your Running for sure! I think Skipping the walking was a GREAT IDEA! love love your tag and card! and all that sewing greta job hugs me x

Anita said...

Wow Annette, these are so gorgeous!

3treescreations@gmail.com said...

Mwah! Love right back! This is beautiful - you stitching is bang on, great job hun!

Deanne :)

shaz earl said...

Beautiful card!

Thank you for joining in the fun with us at SMC with our
"Things with Wings" challenge

Hope you will join us again soon & good luck in the draw

Hugs Shaz x

Unknown said...

Hi Annette,
Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog : )
This tag and card are just to die for!! I do love the Saturated canary images...so sweet and pretty.
Alicia xx

Chris (catt871) said...

WOW WOW WOW!!! Gorgeous!!!!! I LOVE The funky shape....you're so brave (or crazy?!?!) to stitch around that! LOL You make me laugh!!!! Could you use that on a gift bag? Get a large plain gift bag, glue that down and voila....perfect wrapping!! Just a thought!!!
Hugs,
Chris

Christine L said...

Both creations are absolutely FAB Annette.... I love Whispy - she's so gorgeous to colour - and your stitching around the tag is perfect!

Hugs
Christine x

xxxtglxxx said...

Wow! These look amazing, and well done you for the stitching round such a complex shape! :)

I hand-stitch my cards, as I dont get on with machines, but yours looks so neat! :)

I think it really finishes a card off too.

Gorgeous image, really cute and your colouring and papers are wonderful :)

hugs

xxalisonxx

Angela said...

These are wonderful. Love the tag too and all the stitching. Thanks so much for joining us over at Saturated Canary Challenges.
Hugs:)
Angela

Michelle Short said...

Both are beautiufl Annette, love the image and gorgeous colouring of her.

Thanks for joining us at Die-Ing For A Challenge,

Michelle x

F.T said...

That is superb sketch, for school tutorials students like more such sketches to create.

Plastic card Holders 
Plastic cards
Scratch Cards

Mynn xx said...

WOW--that stitching is amazing! Looks crazy hard--but so worth it! :) Fabulous creations! :)

Jo said...

Both gorgeous but that tag is FAB!Love the stitching and gorgeous colours!Thanks for joining us at Sparkles this time & good luck!
Jo x
DT

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

I loved this card so much, I bought it! It is even better up close and personal!! I thought I would have it as a back up card, for times when mummy hours take over crafting hours and I need something quickly, but no, I love it so much I want to keep it. Well, it is my birthday tomorrow, so hubby can give it to ME, yay! Thanks Annette, utterly stunning card/tag. Definitely not too big, love it! Wendy x